This webpage is to inform clients and persons inquiring about my direction and focus as a musician and a woodwind tutor.
I teach woodwinds – Flute/Piccolo, Clarinet/Bass Clarinet and all the Saxophones (alto, tenor, baritone & soprano).
WOODWIND INSTRUCTION FROM THE GROUND UP
I christened my site “Woodwind Instruction From The Ground Up” because many music teachers will not take very young students, but I prefer to start tutoring a student as soon as they can hold a woodwind instrument in their hands because I know that they are a “clean slate”. I can help them get basic concepts correct right from the start.
20+ YEARS OF EXPERIENCE / AREA COVERAGE
For over twenty years, I have been teaching students who live and/or attend schools in the Westlake Village, Agoura Hills, Thousand Oaks, Newbury Park, Camarillo, Moorpark, Calabasas, Simi Valley, Woodland Hills, and Topanga Canyon areas. Previously in the Glendale and Culver City area.
PRACTICE FOR THE WIN
I am attuned to the band programs at the schools that the students attend and focus in on not just auditions, but maintaining and hopefully moving up in their “chair positions. I let students know that my job is to point them in the right direction. When they practice diligently, they WILL improve and at that time THEY get all the credit. It’s when they apply the work to my direction that they will grow and even exceed their own expectations. Bottom line is the student gets all the credit!
- We work on rhythm. Clicking sticks and subdividing immediately.
I call this “good math”. Rhythm Tools: drumsticks, metronome, drum machine, iRealPro app, loops on Logic Pro.
- Naming the notes while correctly fingering them on their instrument. The ABC’s of music.
- Cement the idea that learning the “technical” side of music is NOT rocket science. It’s based on repetition and memorization. Just like sports . . . drill, fix and repeat. Drill, fix and repeat. It’s all mechanics.
- Artistry, articulations, interpretation and dynamics are taught to these padawan learners. They’re never too young to learn these concepts.
- Ear training by memorization of beginning band songs and later through the exercise of jazz transcriptions. I show them how to hear and “find the note(s)”. Singing is a MUST in this arena – sing the note, identify the note, name the note.
- Many other concepts that are my own style and brand of teaching.
- One important factor that I include in the lessons is humor, metaphors and fun!
- Children have young “fresh” brains and soak everything up like little sponges. Young children learn fast with very little complaining thus they learn rippin’ fast!
LOCATION, HOME STUDIO
Music lessons are taught at my home studio in Westlake Village, CA with digital & video recording capabilities.
Logic Pro / Universal Audio’s “Apollo Twin” / Blue Mic / Canon D70 (videos).
FOCUS / AIM / GOALS:
- CLASSICAL TRAINING = Good tone, technique and mechanics.
- Classical/Traditional & Solo Performance Repertoire Etudes
- Tone building through etudes.
- MUSIC THEORY
- Learn by playing & writing. Hands-on method.
- Scales: Major, Harmonic Minor, Melodic Minor and modes based on these scales. Diminish, Bebop, Whole Tone.
- JAZZ STUDIES
- Learning pre-written Jazz Transcriptions.
- Advance Jazz Students: Writing “Take Downs /Solo Transcriptions”
- ANALYZATION OF EQUIPMENT & UPGRADE OF EQUIPMENT
- Encouraging the client/student on instrument & equipment upgrades.
- Preparation of School Band Performance Pieces (Classical/Big Band).
- AUDITION PREPARATION | * A must for many high school entrance auditions.
- Preparation of “solo performance repertoire*” and/or actual performances.
- Solo Repertoire / Solo Ensemble / College Arts Supplement Videos.
- Additional Services: Video/audio recordings for “art supplements” to colleges and universities. Assistance to uploading to college portals and/or YouTube as requested by the admissions information. (For music and non-music majors).
- Recording Equipment: Apple’s Logic Pro Recording software. Apollo Twin Thunderbolt Audio Interface, Blue “Blueberry” Microphone, KRK monitors.
- Video: Canon 70D. Video/Audio Editing: Logic Pro/Final Cut Pro.
STYLES / GENRES OF MUSIC:
- Classical/Traditional, Jazz, Jazz Impro, Rock, Blues, R&B, Funk.
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATION:
- For over twenty years, I have been teaching students who live and/or attend schools in the Westlake Village, Agoura Hills, Thousand Oaks, Newbury Park, Camarillo, Moorpark, Calabasas, Simi Valley, Woodland Hills, and Topanga Canyon areas. Previously in the Glendale and Culver City area.