This webpage is to inform clients and persons inquiring about my direction and focus as a musician and a woodwind tutor.
I teach, give “private music lessons” for woodwinds – Flute/Piccolo, Clarinet/Bass Clarinet and all the Saxophones (alto, tenor, baritone & soprano).
WOODWIND INSTRUCTION FROM THE GROUND UP
I christened my site “Woodwind Instruction From The Ground Up” because many music teachers will not take very young students, but I prefer to start tutoring a student as soon as they can hold a woodwind instrument in their hands because I know that they are a “clean slate”. I can help them get basic concepts correct right from the start.
25+ YEARS OF EXPERIENCE / AREA COVERAGE
For over twenty-five years, I have been teaching students who live and/or attend schools in the Westlake Village, Agoura Hills, Thousand Oaks, Newbury Park, Camarillo/Oxnard, Moorpark, Calabasas, Simi Valley, Woodland Hills, and Topanga Canyon areas.
PRACTICE FOR THE WIN
I am attuned to the band programs at the schools that the students attend and focus in on not just auditions but maintaining and hopefully moving up in their “chair positions. I let students know that my job is to point them in the right direction. When they practice diligently, they WILL improve and at that time THEY get all the credit. It’s when they apply the work to my direction that they will grow and even exceed their own expectations. Bottom line is the student gets all the credit! We work on audition preparation and solo work as part of audition forecasting.
- Rhythm. In lessons clicking sticks and learning to count/subdivide. I call this “good math”. Rhythm Tools: drumsticks, metronome, drum machine, iRealPro app, loops on Logic Pro. Famous, legendary music Thelonious Monk said, “Just because you’re not a drummer, doesn’t mean that you don’t have to keep time.” My motto is your timing/rhythm need to be as good as the drummer or better.
- Naming the notes while correctly fingering them on their instrument. The ABC’s of music.
- Cement the idea that learning the “technical” side of music is NOT rocket science. It’s based on repetition and memorization. Just like sports . . . drill, fix and repeat. Drill, fix and repeat. It’s all mechanics.
- Artistry, articulations, interpretation and dynamics are taught to these padawan learners. They’re never too young to learn these concepts. The beauty in the sound and flow of melody and how music effects and moves the audience, the listener to wonderful emotions. Music can also be therapeutic for the musician/performer, not just the audience. Parents love having music in the home and this is how it all starts!
- Ear training by memorization of beginning band songs and later through the exercise of jazz transcriptions. I show them how to hear and “find the note(s)”. Singing is a MUST in this arena – sing the note, identify the note, name the note.
- Many other concepts that are my own style and brand of teaching.
- One important factor that I include in the lessons is humor, metaphors and fun!
- Children have young “fresh” brains and soak everything up like little sponges. Young children learn fast with very little complaining thus they learn rippin’ fast!
BACKGROUND CHECKED / FINGERPRINTED / APPROVED by these organizations
- Conejo Unified School District | Approved to work with youth.
- Calvary Community Church. | Approved to work with youth.
- BSF – Bible Study Fellowship International | Approved to work with youth.
- US Govt | Year 2002. Approved for musical performances in the context/presence of president and/or candidates.
LOCATION, HOME STUDIO
Music lessons are taught at my home studio in Westlake Village, CA with digital & video recording capabilities.
The areas I cover are Westlake Village, Agoura / Agoura Hills, Calabasas, Thousand Oaks, Newbury Park, Camarillo, Simi Valley and beyond through zoom. I have students in the states of Colorado and Pennsylvania – so with zoom, there are no boundaries!
MUSIC LESSONS ONLINE
Through zoom I am able to teach students in other states. I can research that state’s honor band requirements and work from there. Or if there is a goal for an adult student who wants to achieve more though lessons, we can make that our focus.
Logic Pro / Universal Audio’s “Apollo Twin” / Blue Mic / Canon D70 (videos).
FOCUS / AIM / GOALS:
- CLASSICAL TRAINING = Good tone, technique and mechanics.
- Classical/Traditional & Solo Performance Repertoire Etudes
- Band program curriculum.
- Tone building through etudes.
- Scales: Major/Natural minor, Melodic/Harmonic minor.
- MUSIC THEORY
- Learn by playing & writing. Hands-on method.
- Understanding chords, modes & related scales.
- Scales: Major, Harmonic Minor, Melodic Minor and modes based on these scales. Diminish, Bebop, Whole Tone.
- JAZZ STUDIES
- Band jazz program curriculum.
- Learning pre-written Jazz Transcriptions.
- Writing out custom solos for young jazz musicians.
- Advance Jazz Students: Writing “Take Downs /Solo Transcriptions”
- Scales (see above).
- ANALYZATION OF EQUIPMENT & UPGRADE OF EQUIPMENT
- Encouraging the client/student on instrument & equipment upgrades.
- Suggesting gear change.
- Making minor repairs and recommendations of where to go for major repairs & maintenance.
- AUDITION PREPARATION | * A must for many high school entrance auditions.
- Preparation of “solo performance repertoire*” and/or actual performances.
- Solo Repertoire / Solo Ensemble / College Arts Supplement Videos.
- Scales (see above).
- Additional Services: Video/audio recordings for “art supplements” to colleges and universities. Assistance to uploading to college portals and/or YouTube as requested by the admissions information. (For music and non-music majors).
- Recording Equipment: Apple’s Logic Pro Recording software. Apollo Twin Thunderbolt or Focusrite Scarlet Audio Interface(s), Blue “Blueberry” Microphone, KRK monitors.
- Video: Canon 70D. Video/Audio Editing: Logic Pro/Final Cut Pro.
STYLES / GENRES OF MUSIC:
- Classical/Traditional, Jazz, Jazz Impro, Rock, Blues, R&B, Funk.