I have a few policies that I AM IMPLEMENTING SO WE CAN HAVE CLEAR COMMUNICATION ON CERTAIN ISSUES TO CREATE HARMONY WITH MY CLIENTS AND MYSELF!
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ANY QUESTIONS ON POLICIES Or ANY other MATTER.
LESSON TIME / LENGTH / RATES
- Although I state that lessons are 30, 45 or 60 minutes — please know that I have the right to end lessons 1-2 minutes early for students to set up, bathroom privileges, settle accounts and/or talk to parents with questions. I’ll try my best to not run over into the next student’s lesson — but know that I will always give everyone a full lessons time which might create a domino effect of being late by a minute or two.
- My 2019 goal is to be “on time” as everyone has tight schedules to keep.
- RATES: Based on $40 for 30 mins. (30 mins = $40 // 45 mins = $60 // 60 mins = $80)
- Students/clients who fall ill on the day of their lesson can cancel without VERY LITTLE notice and will not incur any financial penalties/charges.
- Students/clients will not incur any financial penalties/charges due to family emergencies.
- 12 HOUR NOTICE CAN BE GIVEN for any reason without incurring any charges. Otherwise the student/client will be charged the full rate.
- NO makeup lessons are issued when charged for a late cancellation or a “no-show”.
- If I need to cancel, I WILL not charge and a makeup lesson can be arranged.
- Late cancellations or “no show” excuses not accepted: I forgot my band instrument. I have to study for a test. I forgot about the lesson. ONLY illness or a family emergencies is an acceptable excuse.
- No excuse for POOR PLANNING.
- REASON for the CANCELLATION POLICY: If I have enough notice, I can possibly book another student in that time slot. If not, I lose income.
NEW STUDENT POLICY / LOYALTY POLICY
- In a show of LOYALTY to my current students, I will not take new students 1-2 weeks before any MAJOR auditions where they have to compete for “chair, band placement OR win a concert “solo” positions/placement in their band or CBDA/VCHB/SCSBOA Honor Bands.
- In the past I’ve had people convince me that they want to take “lessons” on an ongoing basis, then they take only 1 or 2 lessons before a test/audition in direct competition with my long time students. This is not fair to them and I WILL accept financial losses to show my allegiance.
FORMER STUDENT POLICY / LOYALTY POLICY
- Now and then I’ll have a former student who has discontinued lessons and they will contact me asking for audition music or one or two lessons just before an audition. This is a tough policy to enforce, but IF they are in direct competition to a student presently enrolled as a client, I WILL at my discretion decline to:
– – – Book a lesson.
– – – Give out sheet music and mp3/youtube listening materials.
– – – Assistance in sending out information regarding enrollment in honor bands.
– – – Most of this information is online and the former student must take the time to do the research.
- IF they agree to returning as a student on an “ongoing basis”, I will consider reinstating lessons and/or give out audition information. I may ask for prepayment of 1 month of lessons as a contract to that effect.
- IF they are NOT in conflict with any student/client, I will consider helping the former student out, but they MUST book a lesson. I will not give out the information via email or text.
WANING INTEREST / NON-BAND PARTICIPATION
- Since I started teaching, my policy is that I have the right to discontinue lessons or encourage a parent to consider discontinuing lessons due to disinterest, not practicing or even if they have left a band program which creates an atmosphere of waning interest in music and self discipline in practicing.
- REASON TO RELEASE A STUDENT: I feel it’s not right for a parent to pay for lessons when their son/daughter is not keeping up their part of the deal. Plus sometimes I do have a waiting list, and releasing a student opens the door for another student who might be very ambitious to learn, practice and grow in their hobby or future career of choice!