- Warm-up: Major Scales “full-range“. Start on your low Bb and go up by 1/2 steps.
- February 12, 2023 – Page 6, #10 – C# minor. Tempo 8th note = 152
- Dexter Gordon – ii-V lick.
REAL BOOK > ANALYZING TUNES & IMPROV
- WARM UP > HARMONIC MINOR SCALES & CHORDS
- REMEMBER TO REVIEW & IMPROV ON ALL THE SONGS WE HAVE GONE OVER
- Autumn Leaves * features E harmonic
- Blue Bossa *features D harmonic
- How High the Moon
- Just Friends (next)
- Days of Wine & Roses
- Stella Starlight
- HONOR BAND AUDITION / NEW YORK OR SYDNEY AUSTRALIA:
- CLARINET CLASSICAL PIECE | Concertino Op. 26, C.M. von Weber, ed. Davis (Rubank): PDF MUSIC
WRITE OUT AND/OR MEMORIZE A TRANSCRIPTION
WARM-UP / SCALES
- LONG TONES ON LOW NOTES ON TENOR > WITH VIBRATO A LA “ELLINGTON STYLE”
- CHROMATIC SCALE | Up and back in one breath
- HARMONIC MINOR > MODES & CHORDS > PDF
- MAJOR SCALE > MODES & CHORDS > PDF
- Charlie Parker > OMNIBOOK: Anthropology > (March 14)
- Phil Woods > Stella By Starlight | YouTube | PDF |* class assignment > TIME TO LEARN YOUR SOLO and prepare to record it with a backing track. : D
- Stella by Starlight > Dick Oates | YouTube | PDF |* class assignment
- Jackie McLean’s “Blues Inn” | Alto Solo Image (page 1 & 2) | Solo Image (page 2 & 3) |* class assignment
- Let’s work on this > Now’s the Time > Blues in F > Namm solo artist Brian Miller | PDF | YouTube (5:04)
- MEMORIZE KIM No1 > All Pages > PDF
SAXOPHONE ETUDE & JAZZ BOOKS
- KLOSE BOOK | 25 Daily Studies:
- Pick a random one. Try to do one you’ve never done or one you have not done in a long time.
- PARES SCALES
- Page 42 – #188 – Chromatics
- Page 44 – # 200-203 | Low notes are the foundation of good tone. Try to slur on the D section
- ETUDE: Page 17-20 — Key of A >> Start with FULL RANGE scale / * TAKE REPEATS on #59-63
- MELODIOUS STUDIES | Use (or try to use) metronome markings
- February 12, 2023 – Page 6, #10 – C# minor
- FIRST PRACTICAL STUDIES BOOK
- Page 32, #1
AHS WIND 2 – BAND PIECES
- 2022 – to be determined
MINOR SCALES FOR CLARINET | PDF
- 12/20 – Natural Minors
- Harmonic Minors
- Melodic Minors
CLARINET | WARM UP
- Klose Saxophone book – #4, 11 or 16 (easy ones)
CLARINET ETUDE BOOKS
- CLARINET DUETS
- MOZART DUETS > VOLUME 1 > 1. K378 > MEASURE #59
- FUTURE KLOSE DUETS > Pages 20-21 > ALL
- KROEPSCH | Sept 20
- Repeat 8 times each before playing the last measure (“Final Bar”)
- Be mindful of articulations. Adding “STYLE” to the exercise.
- Ritard a bit before the repeat. Adding “MUSICALITY” to your playing.
- Fermata or decently long note for last the last note. Lean into the last note, get your best sound!
ASSIGNMENT: Page 2 | Exercises #1-8
- SPOHR CONCERTO NO1, OP26 > PDF | YouTube
- BAERMANN BOOK | Sept 20
- Page 27 – LONG Tones everyday. Don’t skip or speed through this page.
- Page 28 – All exercises
- Page 29 – No 6: Mechanical exercises. Repeat each 8 times!
- MELODIOUS & PROGRESSIVE STUDIES | Sept 20
- USE your metronome! Get as close to the metronome marking.
- Get your BEST tone.
- Be MUSICAL at all times. Hold last note out.
- Page 1 – C Major: (1) Tongue all notes. (2) Play as written.
- Page 1 – A minor: Add dynamics.
- PARES SCALES
- Key of C Major / Pages 2, 3 & 4 — NON-Stop (no repeats) | One after another to fast-track you to good tone.
- Feel free to slur everything for tone building.
- Don’t worry if it sounds “bad”. It will get better.
- ANY high “fussy” notes, hold for a long tone (or write in a fermata on those notes) when you “land” on those notes. Don’t worry about being metronomic.
- High notes, flatten out your bottom lip and press on the reed firmly using the center of your bottom lip.
- CLARINET | MAJOR SCALE/ LEARNING SCALE
- 2 octaves / Unless you are going to aim for Wind Honors > Full Range
- CLARINET SOLO > FOR 2021 | MOZART’S K622 > PDF MUSIC
- START AT LINE #6 AND KEEP GOING. Memorize difficult passages.
- CIRCLE OF FIFTHS
- Grand Master Scales
- 12 Major Scales Clarinet
- 12 Major Scales Saxophone
- Major Scales, Modes & Chords
- Harmonic Scales, Modes & Chords
- Melodic Minor Scales, Modes & Chords