* Saxophone care. Use a Q-tip with Pledge Furniture polish and clean off your “sticky pads” – G#, Eb & low C# keys and your upper palm keys. Or clean all of them.
WARM-UP / SCALES
- CHROMATIC SCALE | Up and back in one breath
- MAJOR SCALES | PDF
- MINOR SCALES | PDF
- Jan 24– NATURAL MINORS
- HARMONIC MINORS
- MELODIC MINOR
- SAXOPHONE | SCALES & MODES
- Think of your note names.
- Name your notes before playing.
- Think key signatures!
- Think “lines and spaces” to figure out chord tones.
- Play difficult scales & chords more than once.
LESSON OVERVIEW/PRACTICE CHECKLIST
- APRIL 18, 2021
- CHROMATIC SCALE (Bb to F)
- SCALE WORKOUT
- Option 1 – All 12 Major Scales, Full Range
- Option 2 – Pick or rotate through a minor scale (2 octaves)
- KLOSE #17
- TABLEAUX DE PROVENCE | PDF
- 1st movement / Farandoulo
- CLARINET | KROEPSCH | Play exercise 4-8xs before playing the final bar(s)
- Page 2 | Exercises #1-8 (Review)
- Page 3 | ALL (new)
- Charlie Parker > OMNIBOOK: Anthropology > (March 14)
- Phil Woods > Stella By Starlight | YouTube | PDF |* class assignment > TIME TO LEARN YOUR SOLO and prepare to record it with a backing track. : D
- Stella by Starlight > Dick Oates | YouTube | PDF |* class assignment
- Jackie McLean’s “Blues Inn” | Alto Solo Image (page 1 & 2) | Solo Image (page 2 & 3) |* class assignment
- Let’s work on this > Now’s the Time > Blues in F > Namm solo artist Brian Miller | PDF | YouTube (5:04)
- MEMORIZE KIM No1 > All Pages > PDF
JAZZ A | ASSIGNMENTS
- F BLUES – CREATE SOLO
- Now’s The Time, No1 (pg 74)
- Now’s The Time, No2 (pg 76)
- Billie’s Bounce (pg 80)
- Blues for Alices (pg 18) — 2nd chorus (m5-8)
- Au Privave, No1 (pg 24)
- Au Privave, No2 (pg 26) — 2nd chorus (m9-11, rest on 12)
- Barbados (pg 70) — 2nd chorus (m1-4)
- Phil Woods – Billies Bounce | PDF
- BLUES EXERCISE (for Alto) | PDF
JAZZ A | BIG BAND CHARTS
- March 14 > KNUCKLEBALL BLUES | PDF | YouTube
- BARE NECESSITIES | PDF | YouTube
- MOANIN’ | PDF | YouTube
- Use “slap-tongue” technique to get the low Bbs
- TAKE FIVE | PDF | Audio
- ALONG CAME BETTY | PDF | Audio | YouTube | Drum Track (120)
- AVENUE 88B | PDF | Audio
SAXOPHONE ETUDE & JAZZ BOOKS
- KLOSE BOOK | 25 Daily Studies:
- ONE A DAY, Every day!!
- Exercise 17, Page 19 > April 18
- Exercise #22 (two pages!) > Jan 24
- Exercise #4
- Exercise #12
- Page 42 – #188 – Chromatics
- Page 44 – # 200-203 | Low notes are the foundation of good tone. Try to slur on the D section
- ETUDE: Page 17-20 — Key of A >> Start with FULL RANGE scale / * TAKE REPEATS on #59-63
MELODIOUS STUDIES | Use (or try to use) metronome markings
- Sept 13 > Page 3 | D major – tempo = 60 > Watch out for quarter notes!
- Sept 13 > Page 3 | B minor – tempo = 88 > Tricky math
FIRST PRACTICAL STUDIES BOOK | Page 32, #1
REAL BOOK ANALYZATION: JAZZ THEORY WITH REAL BOOK
- Have your scales & modes page out to analyze.
- Take The A Train – 8/11/19
- Groovin’ High – 8/18/19
- Have You Met Miss Jones – 8/25/19
- Have your scales & modes page out to analyze.
REAL BOOK MELODIES
- Find songs in your REAL BOOK and try to play along with many versions on YouTube and learn to shape the melody or learn it the way another artist plays it.
- Doesn’t need to be a sax player. Can be trumpet, trombone, piano… etc.
OMNIBOOK – CHARLIE PARKER SOLOS
- Au Privave No. 1 | YouTube (practice with the recording) or in 1080p-HD
- Au Privave No. 2 | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-dIFdxSRUA
AHS WIND 2 – BAND PIECES
- PIRATES/WORLD’S END | PDF | YouTube | YouTube1 | YouTube 2
- SKYDANCE | PDF | YouTube | Audio
- ADIRONDACK FESTIVAL OVERTURE | PDF | YouTube | Audio
- Measure 33 > Start at 80bpm, work your way to 116bpm. Clip the last note of the slur for speed.
- YouTube at measure #113.
- CROSSLANDS | PDF | YouTube | Audio
- GHOST RUN | PDF | YouTube | Audio
MINOR SCALES FOR CLARINET | PDF
- 12/20 – Natural Minors
- Harmonic Minors
- Melodic Minors
CLARINET | WARM UP
- Klose Saxophone book – #4, 11 or 16 (easy ones)
CLARINET ETUDE BOOKS
- KROEPSCH | Sept 20
- Repeat 8 times each before playing the last measure (“Final Bar”)
- Be mindful of articulations. Adding “STYLE” to the exercise.
- Ritard a bit before the repeat. Adding “MUSICALITY” to your playing.
- Fermata or decently long note for last the last note. Lean into the last note, get your best sound!
ASSIGNMENT: Page 2 | Exercises #1-8
BAERMANN BOOK | Sept 20
- Page 27 – LONG Tones everyday. Don’t skip or speed through this page.
- Page 28 – All exercises
- Page 29 – No 6: Mechanical exercises. Repeat each 8 times!
MELODIOUS & PROGRESSIVE STUDIES | Sept 20
- USE your metronome! Get as close to the metronome marking.
- Get your BEST tone.
- Be MUSICAL at all times. Hold last note out.
- Page 1 – C Major: (1) Tongue all notes. (2) Play as written.
- Page 1 – A minor: Add dynamics.
- PARES SCALES
- Key of C Major / Pages 2, 3 & 4 — NON-Stop (no repeats) | One after another to fast-track you to good tone.
- Feel free to slur everything for tone building.
- Don’t worry if it sounds “bad”. It will get better.
- ANY high “fussy” notes, hold for a long tone (or write in a fermata on those notes) when you “land” on those notes. Don’t worry about being metronomic.
- High notes, flatten out your bottom lip and press on the reed firmly using the center of your bottom lip.
CLARINET | MAJOR SCALE/ LEARNING SCALES
- 2 octaves / Unless you are going to aim for Wind Honors > Full Range
CLARINET SOLO > FOR 2021 | MOZART’S K622
- PDF MUSIC
- START AT LINE #6 AND KEEP GOING. Memorize difficult passages.
- CIRCLE OF FIFTHS
- Grand Master Scales
- 12 Major Scales Clarinet
- 12 Major Scales Saxophone
- Major Scales, Modes & Chords
- Harmonic Scales, Modes & Chords
- Melodic Minor Scales, Modes & Chords